Saturday, August 27, 2011

A Different Type of Fruit Salad

Last week I bought a cantaloupe that was not very sweet.  I did not want to eat it by itself but I did not want to let it rot in the fridge either.  Make a fruit salad? Boring! While searching on the web, I came across a recipe from Bon Appétit of a salad using watermelon and ricotta salata (http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2005/08/watermelon_ricotta_salata_basil_and_pine_nut_salad).  It was a variation of a recipe by the Iron Chef Cat Cora who uses feta instead of ricotta.  Both the recipes had basil leaves among their ingredients.  I decided to give the recipe my own spin: cantaloupe instead of watermelon and mint instead of basil leaves.  The result is a very refreshing, tasty summer salad you can serve by itself as an appetizer, as a side dish, or as a light end to a rich meal.  Bon appétit!

Cantaloupe and Ricotta Salata Salad  - makes 4 servings

Ingredients

½ large or 1 small cantaloupe, cut in small cubes
½ lb ricotta salata, chopped
½ cup of mint leaves
Juice of 2 limes
3 Tbs of extra-virgin olive oil
½ tbs freshly, ground black pepper

1.      Put the cantaloupe, the ricotta salata, and the mint leaves in a bowl
2.      Add the lime juice, the olive oil and the pepper.
3.      Toss the ingredients together and serve





2 comments:

  1. this is a great idea! And so easy too. will definitely try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melons can be hard to judge from the grocery. I'd heard about lemon juice making them seem a little more ripe, but I love the idea of mint and ricotta salata.

    ReplyDelete